
My darling JohnPaul is 3.5 years old and not fully potty trained. Now, I pretty much blame myself. First of all, he showed signs of readiness at 19 mos. old and I said that I was not ready yet. Second of all, waiting too long has caused it to become both a control and laziness issue. He has proven that he is fully capable of using the potty . . . as long as he wants to. What has helped, since he is fully capable and aware, is that I not longer remind him, if he makes a mess he cleans it up himself (as much as possible), and he goes commando or wears the thinnest of cotton underwear. That said, we are training Alayna this weekend. She is 23 mos. old and has been showing signs of readiness and understanding for a few months. My plan of action is what traditional parenting (as oppossed to psycho babble), expert John Rosemond calls naked and 75. She will wear JP's t-shirts beginning Friday morning and go bare bottom. She will have a potty just her size available to her at all times. And, most importantly, I will tell her potty only goes it the potty very directly so there's no confusion on where to go on her part. Nor, will I make a big deal about messes. I will clean her (and the carpet) up and simply reiterate that her business (in terms she can understand) only goes in the potty. I will update on Sunday and let you know how this went. BTW, I highly recommend John Rosemond's techniques, though pre-conversion he doesn't quite it. But, generally, he knows what he's talking about. Good luck to all you other mothers and fathers dealing with this blown out of proportion issue. Ask your grandmother how long it took her to potty train - no one of that generation will say they had kids in diapers past the age of 2.
oohhh Beth! I am so curious to hear how Alayna does! I have no idea when/what to do with Ava...she still seems a little scared of her potty chair...not sure if that means we need to wait a little longer. I will definitely have to check back on Sunday to see how the weekend went! miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Katherine