I've never blogged about a book before, but this book by Matthew Kelly is absolutely fantastic. We have had it in the house for a few years, but I never gave it the time of day, until this recent pregnancy when some of my spiritual reading has begun feeling too heavy. Actually, I thought it was going to be too basic for me (pride). But after having read it, I realized that through its honesty and simplicity, it brought me back to what truly matters in my spiritual life. Thus, I recommend it to you, no matter where you are in your spiritual journey, and here's why:
Mr. Kelly gets it! He understands the psyche of our culture and the errors of thought it has fallen into. He discusses the most common philosophies people subscribe to, and shows how they are not only wrong, but harmful. Are you living a life of quiet desperation? I wouldn't quite say that I am, but I certainly have had my moments, and this book has helped me to understand why. He then shows how God is the answer to man's longing and desperation, and that the Catholic Church gives us the historical, philosophical, and doctrinal truths God has revealed to man (making this book a great evangelization tools for those Catholics who may not embrace the full teachings of the Church). And for those of us who do accept the fullness of the Church, it is a wonderful tool for both understanding why we may be struggling in our culture, and a way to re-commit to a life of prayer and discipline rooted in Christ. So, no matter where you are in your spiritual life, this book can bring you to the core of what really matters.
I most appreciated the very simple and life changing suggestions the author proposed for the spiritual life. Kelly insists that growth in the spiritual life must depend on discipline, a human virtue sorely lacking in American culture. Basically, God calls each one of us to be saints, which is the best version of ourselves because it is who He created us to be. To be saints we have to be able to put aside our desires for comfort and instant gratification, and pursue the things in life that will make us better people and lead us closer to our goal. For me, the first step, as suggested by Kelly, is simply to put a sticky note on my bathroom mirror to spend ten minutes in quiet meditation with Christ daily - no matter what else I do. I have fallen in and out of ambitious prayer routines for the past ten or so years, so I am going to start over with this one basic habit and develop from there. Yes, it is very basic and simple, but the discipline of the simple will get me a lot farther than sporadic times of mega prayer followed by lulls. Once again, I am realizing the need in my life for the just do it kind of discipline that gets results.

Beth, great review on this book! I just read this post about 6 weeks after you wrote it. :)
ReplyDelete