Lately, I keep coming across references to worldliness. This is actually kind of funny, considering I have been screaming school, even public school, for the kids. Many thanks to St. Catherine of Genoa, the Holy Bible, and St. Francis De Sales (and some very holy friends), I believe that I am being called to less worldliness and worldly attachments. I think with having lost some weight, choosing TV and music above prayer too often, and always wanting to buy new more fashionable clothes, and not wanting to look "mommyish", I have gotten carried away, and Christ is calling me back. Even my beloved exercise and kickboxing need to take more of a back seat to my prayer life so I can authentically live a life of prayer united to Christ. St. Catherine of Genoa reveals to us about purgatory:
And so that blessed soul, seeing the aforesaid things by the divine light, said: I would willingly send up a cry so loud that it would put fear in all men on earth. I would say to them: Wretches, why do you let yourselves be thus blinded by the world, you whose need is so great and so grievous (as you will know at the moment of death) and who make no provision for it whatsoever?
And you know what? I am a much happier and contented person when I am praying (meditating) daily, especially in my vocation as a wife, mother, and housekeeper. Hence, my resolution is to attend a woman's faith group that meets at St. Michael's on Friday. Yes, I will have to miss my kickboxing class, but I'd rather miss exercising that miss Heaven.
Great thoughts...I think most of us have similar struggles. Thanks for sharing. And I STILL don't know how you find time to exercise...
ReplyDelete