Sunday, October 4, 2009

Purity of Intention

The more we give into our passions the less human and more like animals we become. When we use our will, guided by intellect, the more human we become. In our society, we are told to follow our bliss, and reach out and grab what we deserve. As a result of this, we often sit lazily in front of the TV and eat too much junk food after eating too much dinner, and we rationalize that we deserve this indulgence due to a hard day. This culture has lead to a society in which 2/3 of adults (myself included) are overweight. But, also, a culture that is disgusted by obesity, and idolizes a trim figure. In light of these reflections, I have recently decided its time for me to grasp my humanity, gain control over my passions, and lose some excess weight. This goal cannot be looked at as purely an exterior struggle. In fact, after 3 weeks of my journey, I know that making it a purely external is shallow and wrong, and can lead a soul away from Christ and away from virtue. The battle must be centered on Christ and the realization that it is a sin to overindulge in food; that my body is a temple of the holy spirit and I am called by God to take good care of it. In learning to control my passions regarding chocolate and saturated fat, I am teaching my children that it is not okay to give into your passions when you know it is not for the greater good of my body or soul. Once you learn to control one passion, you are more able to control others and be disciplined in other areas, hence my prayer life will improve and my house will be clean too. Discipline - that is a gift I want to give my children so they can choose who they want to be, instead of their passions choosing for them. So, the next time I am watching TV and desire large amounts of ice cream, I will attempt to focus on what is good according to God for my body and soul, instead of how great I will look in my new pair of jean when I reach my goal. And, God willing I will reach my goal and grow in the virtue of temperance and conquer the vice of vanity. AMDG.

No comments:

Post a Comment